Come visit my brothers Ben, Nico & Ethan at http://www.keepingthefaithadoption.blogspot.com/


Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Memories

A year ago today, my world came crashing down around me. I remember every detail like it was yesterday. Will and I were giving my niece a bath in our bathroom, happily laughing at her splashing around. My cell phone rang in the kitchen, and I ran to answer it. It was Inna, the agency director. She asked me if Will was home, and I said yes. She then asked me to have him come to the phone as well. That's the point when I got a sick, sick feeling in my stomach. Of course, we had my niece still in the bath, so I had to wait a minute for him to get her out and wrapped in a towel. Then I put Inna on speaker phone, and she said, "I don't even know how to say this. Especially to you. I'm so sorry, but I got a message....and the baby has died." I had been prepared to hear that her birthmom had decided to parent her, but I wasn't prepared to hear that. I think I was too in shock at that moment to even realize what exactly she had said and what it meant. After that, I remember calling my mom, my sister, my friend Karen, and pretty much everything else is a blur for the next few days. All I can remember is feeling despair and sorrow like I had never known before. I remember feeling certain that this was God's final word on me being a mommy-and it was no. I remember being on my knees literally begging God for some kind of peace in the storm my life had become. I think my family was probably very worried about me at that point-I was barely able to function. Will and the boys were my rock, and my reason for hauling myself out of bed. I thought it would never stop hurting. Now, a year later, I can't say that the pain has stopped, but it is no longer so harsh and so completely consuming. And I know that God wasn't telling me I wouldn't be a mommy, but rather that he had allowed me to be a mommy to Ariana for a brief time, and then to Ben. What a difference a year has made.

2 comments:

veggiemom said...

Hugs...

Telissa said...

A year has given you time to heal, but never to forget. We lost a child in pregnancy at 5 months and then another....but the adoption and continual hope to bring our daughter home wakes us up each day! sending you many prayers and hugs! best wishes!

Guatemala Flag

Guatemala Flag