It's official. The new adoption law passed it's third and final reading today in Guatemala's Congress. I am not sure if that is good news or bad news at this point. It does include a grandfather clause for cases in-process, but it is vague. It doesn't define what in-process means and requires registration with a central authority that doesn't yet exist. I guess we wait again to see how it all plays out in the end. If this new law truly protects the rights of children, birthmoms, and adoptive families while still allowing children in need of loving homes to find them, then I will be happy!
In other news, I got a somewhat confusing update from our agency and attorney today. Our coordinator forwarded the following quote from our attorney: "court was dec. 3. Should get it back this week too!!.". I assumed this meant our case had gone before the Family Court judge on Dec. 3 and we should expect our final report very soon. However, our coordinator interpreted it to mean that our interviews that we were told had been done in November had not actually occured until Dec. 3. I like my assumption better! For anyone who has done an adoption in Guatemala before, I'd love to hear your insights in the comment section about which you think it means! I am praying that Heather (who is relatively new to the agency and didn't seem to even know about a judge's hearing in family court) is mistaken and that we will be getting our Family Court approval this week. Please pray that is the case because my nerves are just about shot!




2 comments:
I know that my agency would tell me dates just to shut me up. Then I would find out later that the dates were way off. I think sometimes when they don't know what to tell you they just tell you something to give you a bit of hope and encouragement. I started asking for written proof each time sometime something was suppose to be done. That helped on knowing exactly when something was done.
Post a Comment